I remember my first day at the center. I was excited, anxious, and nervous! It was a good long day and I learned a lot. I was given a binder filled with many resources I would need. On the front of my binder was the following poem.
One Hundred years from now,
It won't matter what car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much I had in my bank account,
Nor what my clothes looked like,
But, the world may be a little better
Because I was important in the life of a child.
-Unkown
I remember reading it and being really excited for all of the children I would meet in the next year. I didn't know how important I would be to them but I knew they would be important to me. I reread this poem just last week in parenting class. It hit me then just how many children I have met. I could probably go on for pages about all of the children I've met, my experiences with them, and the impact they have had on me. But I wont. But I will tell about one family who I love.
Something really unique about my practicum placement is that the CFSC is Cache Valley's shelter. What this basically means is that when kids are removed from the home, for various reasons, if they aren't immediately placed they get to come stay with us and we take care of them until DCFS is able to find them a foster family.
On Tuesday we were given a family of shelter kids. On Tuesdays I work in the place where they stay so I was in charge of taking care of them for three and a half hours. Don't worry I had another staff member there with me. Well I have a soft spot for kids who have gone through situations that would cause them to be removed from their home. I immediately fell in love with them and I think it is fair to say that they loved me too. Because there were so many of them they needed two staff members to stay the night with them. I volunteered to stay Tuesday and Wednesday night. Best decision I've ever made. We watched a movie and cuddled on the couch together.
When I tucked them in Tuesday night I taught the older kids a sign. I told them that it was all of our special sign. I taught them to say "I love you" in sign language. I then told them to make the sign and to touch their hand to mine. They loved it. I gave them all a hug and told them I loved them and they all said back. "We love you Miss Chelsea!" Cutest thing!
The next morning we made the pancakes. They were excited! I did each of their hair. I had each one sit on a chair in front of me and I would ask them how they wanted their hair to look. I've never seen little kids so excited to have their hair fixed and pretty.
When the oldest ones came home from school I happened to be down the hall and one child came running towards me yelling "Chelsea!" I had the hardest time convincing this child that I would be back to play with them that night. This same child drew me a picture of me and them. I look good with pink hair.
That night as I played with them and helped them get ready for bed I received many hugs and kisses. And a few calls of "Mom". But don't worry I kept reminding them I was Chelsea.
Bath time came and two of the little ones were not excited. I informed them that I was the best bath giver and that they would be really happy if they let me give them a bath. Well I had to live up to my title so I grabbed two water pitchers. I would fill them up with water and we played a game of dumping them on their heads. It was great. They loved it!
After they were all ready for bed I put in a movie to help them fall asleep. While this was going on it was the older kids turns to get ready for bed. They didn't need my help as much so I planned to clean up from the day. Then one child said, "Chelsea will you hold my hand until I fall asleep." I of course told this child yes. While the child laid in their bed I held their hand tight.
During the movie the child looked up at me and said, "Can we do our special sign before we go to bed." I of course said yes. We did our special sign and then I was given another one of my favorite big hugs.
A few minutes later the child looked up at me again and said, "Chelsea, I'm never going to forget you." I wanted to cry. I smiled at this child and told them I would never forget them and I gave them a big hug. After they fell asleep I tucked them in and went to help the older kids.
I held a few more hands while they fell asleep. I received more hugs. I did more special signs and I tucked more sweet children into bed. Where they were safe.
Yesterday this family was placed. I was so happy for them but sad because I new I would never see them again. They were only with me for two days. It's amazing what two days and two sleepless nights will do. Although they almost gave me lice I still love them. They have made a lasting impact on my life. I will think of them often. I'm never going to forget them.
| One of the Children made this for me. |

This is SO tender Chels! You have made a difference in so many lives. I love you and look up to you so much!
ReplyDelete